At Yogasmart we think of our outreach programs as “the path of mindful action”. Our desire to put our yoga knowledge into action comes from the Sanskrit word, seva or selfless service. “Being there as the need arises,” is Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s simple definition of seva. Seva is a way to make a contribution to our fellow beings, throughout the world and in our own backyard.
It also brings about a sense of wholeness and connection and vanishes the separation that we can so often slip into throughout our daily lives. The simplest seva one can do is to pray and send love out into the world; which is why the concluding phrase “All my relations,” appears in Native American healing prayers and chants. Likewise, Shaktipat meditation, as taught by the Self Awareness Institute and Yogasmart, ends every meditation with the phrase, “May the whole world live in happiness and peace”. And so, Yogasmart reaches out into the world and continues to expand our seva horizons.
With the help of a few philanthropic clients, we offered a monthly yoga class at the Goodwill Fitness Center. The fitness center is the only one of its kind. It allows people with spinal cord injuries, MS, cerebral palsy and other debilitating conditions to exercise independently in a beautiful, 12,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility. Goodwill Industries supplements the membership cost, but some individuals with a fixed income still cannot afford the remaining $30 monthly fee. There are currently about 100,000 people in Orange County living with physical disabilities, and the number grows each year. Approximately $2000 was raised.
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM). We offered free yoga classes to breast cancer survivors at The Yoga Summit during the month of October.
- Celebrated National Yoga Month! One week of free yoga offered to new students at The Yoga Summit.
- Time for Yoga & Pizza Party—raised $100 for Mark Levy’s Relay for Life team called “The Bureau Cats”. Donations to benefit the American Cancer Society.
- Mala & Martinis: Summer Solstice Celebration & Art Show Benefit—gift prize drawings included $300 in mind-body classes at our studio–The Yoga Summit, $150 Chava (vital chocolate), $500 teeth whitening, art by Elizabeth Casuga, music CD’s by Angela Mukul, gift baskets, and a Silverado Succulents—raised $300 from donations to benefit the Golden Retriever Club of Greater Los Angeles Rescue and the Bonnie Smith Recovery Fund
- National Charity League Fashion Show Silent Auction—$350 in yoga classes, private training & workshops donated
- Crystal Clear: Yoga Mala Equinox Celebration followed by Chai Tea Party & Open House. 25% of proceeds donated to California Tsunami Relief through The Community Foundation of Santa Cruz County. Event held at The Yoga Summit, 27031 Vista Terrace, Lake Forest, CA 92630-8125.
- Modjeska Fire Department Awards Dinner Silent Auction—$350 in yoga classes, private training & workshops donated
- Celebrated National Yoga Month September by offering one week of free yoga to new students.
- National Charity League Fashion Show Silent Auction—$550 in yoga services, private training & workshops donated
- Dana Hills High School Silent Auction—$550 in fitness services donated
- First yoga studio to partner with the The Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange Center for Spiritual Development (CSD), providing yoga to its employees on a weekly basis.